Sunday, July 3, 2011

Oh. Mon. Dieu.

This spa--I mean camp--is ridiculous.  The kids arrived today, many of them flying into Geneva on their parents' private jets.  I was in charge of administering the language exams to determine which level of French or English each child belongs in.  One of the questions on the exam was "What countries have you visited?/Quels pays est-ce que tu as visitee?"  ...some of the answers were so long that I had to cut the kids off.

All the counselors had dinner with the campers tonight; my table was incredibly awkward... This clique of French girls sat together at one end of the table and giggled the entire time, and then this clique of Canadian kids sat together at the opposite end and barely said anything.  The food, however, was just as good as always; no chicken fingers or French (freedom) fries for these kids!

Tomorrow we begin to teach the classes... the kids have language courses in the morning, and afterwards I teach a songwriting class... How I am going to do this with a group of 7 to 15 year olds, I have absolutely no idea.  Nevertheless there will be some good stories, I'm sure.

One of the directors of the camp doesn't speak any English, so I was the interpreter for the evening... I felt very Nicole Kidman-esque, especially because many of the kids are actually the children of ambassadors who probably have crazy secrets....

Lastly, the hotel room is beautiful.  There are two bedrooms--one room with one bed, the other room with two beds... after winning the game of rock-paper-scissors (aka pierre-feuille-ciseaux) with my two roomies, I naturally picked the single room. Win.  Also, the other night I was so exhausted after all the meetings and jet-lag that I threw my clothes on the floor before I went to sleep... when I got back from working the following day, housekeeping had them neatly folded and placed on my shelf.

Life of a camp counselor is hard.

A bientot!
Jacob

1 comment:

  1. Only you would find a camp with gourmet meals and housekeeping. What are the afternoon activities... massages and mani/pedis???

    ReplyDelete